Hello my Dear Wonderful Readers!
So this week has been full of ups and downs, and I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am that it is coming to an end!! My camera and my phone died on the same day, my husband falls sick the next and then it got a little better and now I am just exhausted! So I really did not have time to invent or go through my recipe library. So this one is my simple Kerala style egg roast. It is so easy to make and this is my husband’s favourite egg recipe! The key ingredient is onion. Roast the onions well and you will add the most amazing flavour to the eggs.
I love curry leaves! In fact, I prefer them to coriander leaves. They just add so much more to a dish. This is partly because of my Malayalee roots. We add curry leaves to everything!! including our drinks. Ohh!! There is this drink called “Sambharam” (“flavoured buttermilk”) which is the best thing to beat the heat during these hot summer afternoons. I will have to make a post about that! Its just butter milk and a few spices with curry leaves but it is so good and refreshing (also good for hangovers, no kidding!!).
If you look at it, the traditional “Sadhya” is the most perfectly balanced meal ever! It starts with rice and a green gram curry, move to sambar, and finally the yogurt based curry. All the way you have a array of vegetables and pickles to go along with it. Ok maybe the 4 different “Payasams” are not that healthy, but hey! How many people make it every day! My mum is a “Payasam” expert!! She can whip up a payasam in no time and it will taste just like the ones they serve you at the temples. Yes I do think that the real ingredient is love!! I may have digressed a little bit here. lol.
Ok so back to this recipe. This is your ideal week night,”I do not want take out, I do not want to make any thing too complex”, “Oh I want some spicy egg based side” – kind of dish.
- Hard Boiled Eggs – 6 -7
- Onions – 5 large – julienned
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 + 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 14
- Coconut Oil – 3 tbsp
- Green Chillies – 4 ( slit into two)
- Water – 1 tbsp + 1/2 cup (optional)
- In a large heavy bottom kadai / wok, heat oil
- Once the oil is hot, add the onions and half of the curry leaves and fry till golden brown
- Then add the turmeric, chilli, pepper, garam masala powder and coriander powder and give it a nice mix. Add 1 tbsp of water to the mixture. This will prevent the spice powders from getting burnt
- Now add the green chillies and the eggs.
- Season with salt and give it a good mix. Mix gently so as to not tear the boiled eggs but make sure to coat the eggs well with the onion masala
- Cover and cook for 5 min
- Garnish with the remaining curry leaves and serve with hot Rotis or Rice