Hello my Dear Wonderful Readers!
How are you all doing today? As the weather changes and the cold sets in, I find myself pulling out my blankets, fuzzy socks and jackets out. So in anticipation of soup season, I also have a feeling we will have a lot of bread making in the house too. Did i mention I ruined my oven? Yes, so while I was getting the house ready for Diwali, last month, I cleaned the oven and when I turned it back on, the whole house lost power!!! Yeah I managed to destroy my favorite kitchen apparatus and I havent gotten around to getting the company guys to come take a look at it either (talk about being lazy) :-).
So this time I made my bread in the “convection” mode of my microwave oven and to my pleaseant surprise in really does work! how awesome is that. Now did I mention that this recipe also incorporates, whole wheat? Yes, sir it does!! So I added equal amounts of bread flour and whole wheat flour to make these babies so that they are not all that unhealthy and make a perfectly wholesome meal when paired with a big bowl of healthy soup.
Do you guys love the small bread baskets that they serve in Italian restaurants? With the flavoured butter? I am a sucker for them. While my husband refuses to have it cause he says its a distraction from the main food. I say I love it all.. hahaha..
- Bread Flour / Maida – 1 + 1/4 cup
- Whole Wheat Flour / Atta – 1 + 1/4 cup
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Yeast – 1 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup (warm)
- Garlic – 9 cloves
- Lime – 1
- Parsley – 1/4 cup (chopped fine)
- Butter – 50 gms (at room temperature)
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, add sugar, water and yeast. Set aside to rest for 10 mins. In 10 minutes it should have become nice and frothy
- Into the same bowl, add the flour, salt and oil
- With the hook attachment on, turn on the mixer to a medium speed for 7 – 10 mins
- It will form a nice sticky dough
- Grease a big glass bowl and tip the dough mixture into the bowl
- Let it rest for 2 hours or till the dough has doubled in size
- Meanwhile, drizzle a little oil over the garlic cloves and put them into an oven at 200 C for 15 min or till they are golden and almost black on the outside. Once they have cooled down, with the back of your spoon, press them to form a nice paste
- Now take a bowl and add the melted butter, zest the lime, chopped parsley and garlic paste. Season with salt and mix well and set aside
- Peheat your oven to 200 C and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Once the dough has doubled in size, tip the dough onto a floured surface.
- Slowly knead the dough for 2 mins
- Then make a large ball and cut it into 2. Then cut them into 5 each. You should have around 10
- Slowly roll out the dough into long rolls
- Then just like you tie a shoe lace, tie the knot with the rolled out dough
- Once you have made the knot, place on the prepared baking tray. Do the same with the remaining dough
- Dip a pastry brush in some olive oil and brush the tops of the knots lightly
- Place the tray in the pre heat oven and bake for 15 – 20 mins or till lightly golden on the top
- During this time, melt the butter mixture in a microwave
- As soon as the knots are ready take them out of the oven and dip them into the melted butter
- Use a mitten while you dip the knots as they will really hot!!
- After dipping them, place them back on the tray
- Just before you serve them, brush again with the flavored butter!!