Hello my wonderful readers!
How have you all been? As you can see, I haven’t really had much time to blog and cook as I have been spending time at the school and after with my little one. I stay at the school along wth my baby and once we are back we continue with activities etc together. Not cause blogging is not as interesting, its just that it really feels nice to spend time with Adi. In the last few weeks, as a mother there are so many changes in my little one and its just the best. I couldn’t imagine not sharing these changes with him. The perks of staying home with your baby, I guess 🙂
For March – April the temperatures are soaring like crazy and apparently they are only going to get worse. So I decided to make a little lemon sponge cake for the evening tea. The cake is light and spongy and so so delicious. Paired with a cup of tea this makes the perfect summer evening tea.
As the days go by there is this reality that hits you that these moments, hot, cold, summer or rain, will never come back. Little precious moments with the little boy and as a mum the only thing you want is for your little one to be able to make decisions on his own with a sensible head. As a parent we are so so weak. Some times even if its for his good, it takes a lot out of me to keep a straight face when I am trying to explain why he should do some thing . Or when I ask him if he wants to go to school and he replies with “OR THE MALL? ” like its really an option .. lol…. secretly I think he enjoys the car / auto ride to and from the school more than anything. He holds the railing behind the auto driver and pretends to be driving the auto with all the expression and sound effects the auto and its driver. Once we are home, everyday he makes a fuss to enter home. Cause he knows its time for lunch and then his afternoon sleep which is such a struggle!! But in all its the best feeling to see his little black straight hair flutter gently when he runs to jump, his little look from the corner of his eye when I ask him to keep back things or when I say “What did Amma say?” and he says ” No Skweeeeming ” … These little moments make my heart warm and every moment worth living. Oh my there I go again about how I love my little honey bee.
Ok back to the recipe. You want all the ingredient at room temperature and do not forget to butter and dust the pan WELL!
- Flour – 1 + 1/2 cups
- Butter – 1 cup
- Eggs – 3
- Butter milk – 1 Cup ( whisked well)
- Caster Sugar – 1 + 1/4 cup
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tbsp
- Lemon Zest – from 2 lemons / 1/4 cup
- Lemon Juice – from 2 Lemons
- Baking Powder – 2 tsp
- Extra butter and flour to grease and dust the pan
- Extra powdered Sugar for dusting
- Pre Heat the oven to 180C
- Grese and dust a pan with butter and flour. Make sure to tap out the excess flour
- Now in a large bowl, add the butter and sugar . Cream till pale and fluffy
- Then add the eggs one at a time. Make sure to cream the mixture well and incorporate as much air as possible.
- In a large pan, mix the flour and baking powder. Sieve the mixture thrice to incorporate air and to distribute the Baking powder well in the flour
- Now into the butter and egg mixture, add the lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract and mix well ( if you are using a hand whisk this is easy, the same can be done with a hand held whisk)
- Next add the butter milk to the lemon egg mixture and mix well
- With a spatula divide the flour mixture into 3 and slowly fold the flour into the buttermilk butter egg mixture ( wet mixture)
- Once you have added all the flour to the wet mixture, your batter is ready! ( do not over mix the batter)
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and tap to release bubbles
- Pop the cake tin into the pre heated oven and bake for 45 – 50 mins or till the tooth pick inserted comes out clean
- Cool completely on a cooling rack and then turn it out onto a plate
- Finally dust with powdered sugar and lemon slices !
Enjoy your summer Tea party ❤
2 thoughts on “Summer Lemon Sponge Cake”
Beautiful cake and pretty summery pics 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much Anjana ❤
LikeLiked by 1 person