Hello my Dear Wonderful Readers!
How did you all celebrate the day of LOVE? I am sure you all exchanged gifts and big bouquets of flowers, and wore red and had candle light dinners right?
Well, I woke up early to surprise my husband with breakfast in bed. I made fluffy pancakes infused with sprinkles and topped it with boozy chocolate sauce, fresh water melon juice and coffee. But just as I was pouring the last pancake and setting up the tray, he walks right out of the bedroom and wished me and starts snooping around (completely ruined the surprise I had planned 😦 ). So it wasn’t really breakfast in bed! Oh well. The rest of the day was also a disaster, details on “how my husband almost gave me a mental breakdown and made me realize how much I love him” in my next post. He’s super sorry though, Lol.
For now, here is the recipe for my simple no fuss scones that go so well with tea on a nice peaceful morning. I baked them while my son was asleep and I was so happy cause I figured I could take a few good photos, but just like his father he woke up in the middle of my shot and as you can see, I lost a few strawberries (he loves strawberries) and then rest was history :). To my inquisitive and nosy babies (yes nosy hubby is a grown ass baby!!), I love you no matter how naughty you both are.
- Flour – 300 gms
- Butter – 100 gms ( cold, cut into cubes)- take it out of the fridge at the end just before you start cooking)
- Sugar – 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Fresh strawberries – 2 cups ( cleaned, hulled and chopped)
- Baking Powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Egg – 1 + 1 (for egg wash)
- Yogurt – 1/2 cup
- Preheat your oven to 180 and line a baking tray with baking paper
- In the bowl of your mixer / food processor combine, flour, baking powder, sugar, butter and salt
- Pulse the mixture in the bowl for a second at a time for around 3 – 4 times. All you want is for the butter to break into the flour. (should resemble mud and stones)
- Throw in the chopped strawberries
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, vanilla extract and yogurt
- Finally mix the wet ingredients into the dry using a fork. Do not over work the mixture
- Just combine till the mixture holds together (it should be firm and not sticky like bread dough)
- Finally liberally flour your work counter and dump the dough over the floured counter
- Bring the mixture together to form a round flat ball
- Using a knife or a pastry cutter, cut into eqaul halves and move carefully to the prepared baking tray
- Whisk the other egg and using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the cut halves with the egg
- Bake for 40 mins or till you see the tops of the scones turn nice and brown
- After they are baked serve right away with tea, butter or choice of fruit