Hello My Dear Wonderful Friends!
How are you all doing today? Yay, its almost the weekend and I can not wait for Saturday. Its been raining all week and my little boy is down with a cold, so I decided to make warm food and to begin my day with lots of nutritious fruits to keep me going. Pineapples help build and secure your immune system. They are anti inflammatory and also help in digestion. Kiwi also helps build immunity and is a good source of Vitamin C and then there is mango. Do you really need a reason to add mangoes in anything?? 😛
This time I used coconut water cause I wanted this smoothie to feel like a cocktail! ha.. so much for a clean mind and a clean diet! lol. The thing is, when you make smoothies every day, you really do not wanna get bored and our world is full of different kinds of fruits and vegetables and the permutations are endless! That being said, there are certain smoothies I just do not make, like pineapple and oats = yuck! Orange + yogurt = run to the bathroom!! etc!
All this fruit talk is making me hungry! OK, so I am going to run along and make some thing to eat while you check out my recipe for this refreshingly fresh and jazzy smoothie!!
- Mango – 2 cups
- Kiwi – 3
- Pineapple – 1 medium size
- Coconut water – from one large coconut ( add more if you do not like it thick)
- Palm Sugar – 1 tsp ( optional)
- Skin the mango and cut the fresh mango into large chunks and chuck right into the blender
- Then cut the kiwis into two and using a spoon scoop out the flesh
- Slowly slice off the skin of the pineapple and cut into small chunks
- Add all the fruits into the blender
- Finally break open a fresh coconut and add the water to the smoothie ( if you can use the flesh of the coconut as well)
- Give a good mix
- Serve into individual glasses with a slice of pineapple on top
Hello my Dear Wonderful Readers!!
How are you all doing today? This the weekend and I have so much lined up to do. Starting with cleaning the fridge! lol. But before I get to the “Work” we have scheduled a little fun time with the baby boy too. I had decided to sleep in today but as usual, my son wakes up early only on the weekend! I think babies have a way of sensing when it is the weekend and how to make sure our day circles around their needs and desires. So Cute.
Have you tried the Chinese 5 spices mix?? Its insane!!! Its just everything I love about spices. Its got heat, aroma, sweetness! its got everything. Its like the Chinese Garam Masala 😛 I love this spice mix and its so so easy to make. The ingredients are always readily available in any Indian Kitchen and its super easy to make. Dry roasting the spices first makes sure to bring out the maximum flavour from them. You could always buy the spice mix at any local market but why would you when it is soo easy to make at home and tastes 100 times better! The 5 spices are – cinnamon, clove, star anise, fennel seeds and pepper corns. Make sure to dry roast them till you get this wonderful aroma of the spices (take care not to burn them). Also when you powder them make sure your blender is absolutely dry!! I mean no moisture at all. This way they spices can be stored in an air tight container and used for later too.
This burger is absolutely the best thing to have on a Friday night with a glass of any alcohol you like. It pairs really well with Vodka (:p). Like most burgers I haven’t used cheese or any type of sauce in the burger but I did make a creamy chilli mayo to go along with the burger. I do not like sloppy burgers so I did not add the mayo to the burger but we dipped the potato wedges into the mayo and had it along with the burgers. Oh it was heaven!!! I have used chicken breasts and marinated them overnight, but even 3 hours should also work. To make the best burgers you have to use the freshest ingredients (be it the meat, the bread and the veggies). So make sure you take a trip to your local market and get fresh produce for the burger. I make sure I don’t store meat, I find it tastes different and it absorbs less of the marinade if it’s old meat( by old i mean – left in the freezer for a few days).
PS: – My husband named it the Infinity Burger. Lol.
Ingredients for the 5 spice powder –
- Cinnamon – 3 large sticks or 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- Cloves – 1 tbsp
- Star Anise – 5 large
- Fenne Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Pepper Corns – 1 tbsp
- Heat a large heavy bottom pan
- When the pan is hot add all the spices and dry fry till they start to emit a wonderful aroma
- Make sure to stir constantly and fry on low flame
- Now transfer the spices into a grinder and grind to fine dust
- Store in a dry air tight container
Ingredients for the Chicken :-
- Chinese 5 spice powder – 2 tbsp
- Chicken Breast – 6 ( large)
- Soya Sauce – 3 tbsp
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 3 tbsp
- Ginger – 1 tbsp
- Garlic – 1 tbsp
- Chilli Powder – 1 tsp ( or according to taste)
- Brown Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Lime Juice – juice of one lime
- Oil – 3 – tbsp – for frying the chicken
- Pineapple Slices – 12
- Firstly using a mortar and pestle grind the ginger and garlic to from a nice paste
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients for the marinade (expect the chicken pieces)
- It should form a nice thick paste. Add 1 tbsp of water if required to bring it to a nice thick saucy consistency
- Then add the chicken breast and coat the breast properly with the marinade
- Cover and set in the fridge for 3 hours or overnight
- When you are ready to fry the chicken, heat oil in a frying pan
- Then add the chicken pieces two at a time. Cook with the cover on for the first 10 mins on medium flame
- Then take off the cover and crank up the heat – this will give you that charred dark brown caramelisation on the chicken
- Set aside on kitchen paper to soak up any excess oil
- In the same pan when the pan is hot, add the pineapple slices and fry on high. This gives the pineapple a nice caramelised exterior and it gets coated with the spices left in the pan ( Yuuummmmm!!!)
To Assemble the burger –
- Burger Bread – 3
- Lettuce leaves – 12
- Red Onions Slices – 2 large onions sliced
- Pineapple slices – 2 for each burger (more if you like)
- Chilli Mayo – as required
- Cut the burger bun into two halves
- Then place lettuce on the bottom half
- Then add 3 onions slices
- Then add two of the fried chicken breasts
- Add another layer of lettuce
- Then the caramelised pineapple
- And finally the top half of the burger bun
- Serve right away with a side of chilli mayo and some potatoes wedge!!
Hello my wonderful readers!!
Its Monday already!! Every Sunday I catch myself saying “If only the weekend had one more day”!!! Ohh..
Unlike most people, weekends is when so much gets done at home. Cause that’s when I have help. Yes these are the words of a typical stay at home mum. And I love it
So this is how breakfast looked on Sunday morning. Soft, fluffy. lemony pancakes, with lightly grilled pineapple, fresh kiwi and a honey drizzle. Usually I make a typical south Indian breakfast on the weekends. But this time I wanted a change. Apart from breakfast smoothies, we usually have Dosas for breakfast. So these pancakes where a welcome change from the usual food. They are super simple to make and ideal for a family of 4. You could add what ever kind of fruit you prefer, I love fresh pineapples and I had a few kiwis in the fridge so I added them and they were awesome!!!
- Flour – 2 cups
- Sugar – 5 tbsp (brown sugar)
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Milk – 1 + 2/3 cup
- Eggs – 4
- Butter – 3 tbsp (melted and cooled)
- Salt – 1 tsp ( or to taste)
- Vanilla Essence – 2 tbsp
- Cottage Cheese – 1+ 1/2 cup
- Lemon – zest of one lemon
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Whisk well with a dry whisk and set aside
- In another bowl mix lemon zest, milk, butter, vanilla essence and cottage cheese. Then separate the egg yolks and white.
- Add the egg yolks to the milk and butter mixture and whisk
- Whisk the egg white to soft peaks in a separate bowl – set aside
- Now add the egg yolk + butter + milk + vanilla + cottage cheese + lemon zest mixture to the dry ingredients
- Combine with a wooden spoon (do not over work the batter, its ok if there are a few lumps)
- Now divide the egg white mixture into 3 and slowly fold into the flour mixture
- Once all the egg white have been mixed your batter is ready
- Heat a non stick pan
- I use a large ice cream scoop so that I have equal quantities of batter for every pancake
- Pour the batter onto the hot pan. once you see bubbles form on the ends of the pancake flip and cook for 3- 4 mins on low
- Stack and serve with grilled pineapples, kiwi and honey!
Hello my Dear Wonderful Readers!
So, how are you all doing today? I am back with another ‘detox-cleanser’ smoothie. Remember how I said, my mother always says, eat your colours! This smoothie stays true to that. But before I get to that I wanna share something with you all. I have reached an important milestone as a blogger. 🙂 My Instagram page has now reached 1000 followers!! How awesome is that!!
When I began blogging I never knew how rewarding it would feel to exchange and share ideas of food with all of you. I turned my private Instagram page to a public page only a few months ago. So yes I am going to say cheers to that with my Green Monster Smoothie. 🙂
This drink is not as filling as the smoothies that I make with oats but its more of a detox juice.
- Spinach is good source of Vitamin K, C, A and high in iron, magnesium and Folate. Basically that translates to lush hair, strong bones, clear skin and good blood circulation
- Celery helps to reduce bad cholesterol in the body and reduces inflammations. It is high in anti oxidants and vitamin K
- Apple – An apple a day ….. ??
Together this smoothie is sure to make your feel brighter, fresher and will uplift your mood any time any day!
- Celery – 2 stalks (chopped)
- Apple -2 ( cored and chopped)
- Pineapple – half ( skin cut off and flesh chopped)
- Spinach Leaves – 100 gms( cleaned and steam removed)
- Orange 1 ( juiced)
- Water – 1 cup
- Honey – 1 tbsp (adjust according to taste)
- Ice Cubes – 6- 10
- In a blender bowl, add all the ingredients except water and honey
- Turn the blender on and add water as required to bring to the consistency you like
- Taste and add honey accordingly
- Add ice and give it a final blend
- Serve right away
I love street food but like I said, I am very very scared of falling sick. Time and again I have tried street style food and some how I manage to fall sick 5 out of 10 times. So it takes me a while to taste food off the road. Once such drink is the Kulukki Sherbat. My friend in Kerala was kind enough to make me a glass of this wonderful drink 2 years ago and from then on I have been in love with this drink. It is the perfect blend of sweet, sour and spicy!
- Pineapple – 1/2 cup (chopped to fine pieces)
- Lime Juice – from 3 limes
- Sabja Seeds / Basil Seeds – 2tbsp (washed and soaked for 10 mins)
- Ginger – 1 tsp (chopped fine)
- Green Chilli – 1 ( chopped fine)
- Honey – 3 – 4 tbsp ( or according to taste)
- Water – 1.2 lt (cold)
- Ice cubes – as required
- In a bottle add lemon juice, honey, ginger and chilli. Put the cap on the bottle and give it a nice shake for 5 seconds
- Then add the rest of the ingredients including the ice cubes. Put the cap back on the bottle and give it a nice shake again for one minute
- Serve right away over ice cubes!!
Use fresh ingredients for a refreshing drink!!
Ok we all love making apple pies at home just cause of the way it makes our home smell like heavens kitchen right? Now what if you tell you, you do not need to go through all that pain for the same effect 😉 My simple solution to ripe pineapples and a need for some sugar is my spiced pineapple jam. It is the easiest thing to make and you just have to dump it all into one pot. I plan on making pancakes this weekend so this will go perfectly with it. Here is my recipe and I hope you try it out.
ps. I bet your family will ask you if you are making an apple pie at home 🙂
- Pineapple – 1 ( cleaned, skin cut and chopped) around 400 gms
- Sugar – 1/2 cup ( I used honey )
- Star Anise – 2 big
- Cinnamon – 2 sticks
- Salt – just a pinch
- Water – 3 – 4 tbsp
- In a heavy bottom pan, add pineapple and honey / sugar with water
- Leave the flame on low. Stir occasionally. Add salt after 5 mins
- Now when you see the pineapple get soft and squishy add the star anise and cinnamon
- Use whole spices and not powder
- Let the mixture simmer till the water has evaporated till 70%
- If you find that the pineapple has not softened do add a tbsp of water
- Finally when the water has reduced and the pineapple is all nice and masked up, take the pot off the stove and let it cool. Now if you like the consistence go ahead and bottle it up once cooled
- If not used a spoon and fish out the whole spices and blend the pineapple for a min till it is nice and smooth
- then empty the jam into your bottle and put the whole spices back into the bottle