Hello my Dear Wonderful Readers!
How are you all doing today? Summer is here. Its just March and it is so hot and sticky that by afternoons I have to make tons of buttermilk and juice to keep my son hydrated. Given that little babies are always running around, they are constantly sweating and losing so much water from their bodies. While making the juice, it suddenly dawned on me that strawberries will be out of the market very soon. so before they go away for another year, I wanted to make the best of it with a little strawberry cream cheese tart. But I wanted my own little twist to it, so I added green cardamom powder to the filling. Oh! I would be lying if I said I dint have more than a piece of the tart. IT WAS HEAVENLY!! Its really simple to make and it doesn’t need a lot of prep work. You could buy pre baked short crust tart shells but there’s no fun in that. So I made my own from scratch.
I used the same recipe as I had for my White Chocolate Persimmon Tartlets. Do click on the link for that.
Now for the filling which is as easy as it gets!
- Cream cheese – 200 gms
- Heavy Cream – 200 ml
- Sugar – 4 – 5 tbsp
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tbsp
- Green Cardamom Powder – 2 pinches
- Remember to cool the cream before you start using it. For best results use the cream directly from the fridge
- Next in the bowl of your stand mixer, add the cold cream and whisk on medium
- When you see the consistency go from liquid to soft peaks, add the cold cream cheese
- Whisk again on medium for a minute
- Then add the vanilla extract and green cardamom powder
- Turn the speed a little higher and add the sugar one table spoon at a time
- Once you are done with all the ingredients set to cool back in the fridge till your tart shells are ready
For the strawberries:-
I needed around 3 packs for strawberries but that depends on how you arrange the strawberries in the tart.
- Clean and wash the strawberries. Dry them completely
- Using a sharp knife, cut the tops off the strawberries in such a way that they would stand if kept inverted
Assembling the tart
- After the tart shells have cooled down completely, add the whipped cream and cream cheese mixture to the tart shell
- Evenly spread it throughout the shell
- If you find that the mixture is too thin, put the tart back in the fridge for 15 mins
- Then take it out and arrange the strawberries over it
- Finally dust with the powdered sugar
- Serve right away!!
Hello Wonderful readers!
It’s persimmon season and I just can’t get enough of this lovely fruit. If you follow me on Instagram you will see what I mean when I say ” I LOVE PERSIMMON” 🙂
So, we have been trying to stay healthy for three weeks now and I must tell you that it is not an easy task! Every time a “cake idea” strikes me, I have to remind myself how we have decided not to have too much butter and sugar. Yes, I know there are alternatives, but cake is best with eggs and butter and sugar and milk! Maybe it’s because we have been conditioned to like cake that way from the age of 1 (like on your first birthday).
Given the above circumstances, I made a batch of these amazing tarts and I had one! just one! So that I did not eat anymore I made sure they were left home (by home, i mean my parents home) that evening! Oh, how I cried the next day just for a little bit of that yummy filling and that soft crumbly crust 😦
Anyway, the fact is, its not easy to stay healthy with all those distractions in the super market. But you just got to try. So for me, weekends’ mean we can have pizza and biriyani. (in moderation). Yippee.
Today being a Friday, I plan on making pizza for dinner. I have the dough resting and my chicken marinating. I will share that recipe with you next week. Just to make it healthier I made the pizza dough in whole wheat flour :p. Yes an oxymoron! Healthy Pizza! Whaaaatttt r u saying????!!!
Ingredients for the tart shell
- Flour – 500 gms
- Butter – 250 gms ( cold)
- Sugar – 5 tbsp ( powdered)
- Cold water – a few tsps ( enough to bring the dough together)
- In a bowl of a food processor, combine cold butter and flour
- Process on slow till the mixture resembles bread crumbs
- Then add sugar and slowly add one tsp of water at a time while the mixture is on at a low speed
- Stop adding water as soon as the dough comes together
- Tip out the contents of the bowl onto a cling wrap sheet and ball up the dough with the cling wrap
- Store the tart dough in the fridge till required
Ingredients for the filling :-
- White Chocolate – 250 gm
- Cream – 200 ml
- Eggs – 2 egg yolks
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- In a microwavable bowl, combine cream and white chocolate
- Heat at medium power pausing at one minute intervals to mix the ingredients
- Once the chocolate cream mixture has melted and combined take it out of the microwave and cool to room temperature
- Then add the vanilla and eggs. Whisk well with a fork ( do not over whisk as it will curdle)
Assembling the tart :-
- Roll out the cooled tart dough to the size of your tart pans.Butter your tart pan liberally and then line the tart pans with the rolled out dough
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10 – 15 mins at 180 C
- Once they are ready, take them out of the oven and let them cool down
- Now slowly pour the white chocolate cream mixture into the tart shells
- Bake for another 20 mins at 180 C. You will see the mixture start to rise a little and bubble. Once the sides of the tart shell are slightly golden, take them out of the oven and set aside to cool
- Serve with fresh cut persimmon