Hello my Dear Wonderful Readers!
How are you all doing? So remember how I had a post for my Tzatziki Sauce, well the primary reason to make that dip was this! These rolls are to die for and I am not saying that just cause I want you to try it. These rolls are the right combination of veggies, meat and sauce. Unlike many other wraps that are filled with oil clad fries, loads of cheese and deep fried meat, this wrap can actually be considered as a healthy option. At our place, we love having rolls and most of the time I end up making everything a wrap. Simple everyday dishes can be rolled up into a chapati or any other flat bread and make a delicious and quick snack or meal. I like making my own bread. In this case I made the pita bread and the sauce too. If you are going to make it, then I suggest you do the same.
- Now one thing that you should always have in mind while making a wrap is that, you really want everything to be fresh. All your vegetables should be fresh and try to cut them up just before you make the wrap.
- If you are using leafy vegetables like lettuce, spinach etc, after you wash them, make sure to dry them out completely. Use a large sieve or colander and let them dry completely before you use them in a wrap. Or else your wrap will be soggy and limp. No one likes a soggy wrap/ roll.
- The meat should be cooked and ready to be plated. The reason I say this is that you do not want to add the vegetables on the bread and then begin to cook the meat, then you will just end up with a soggy roll.
- In this recipe, its best to marinate the chicken overnight or for 3 hours. Cause apart from the Tzatziki thats the only thing that going to add flavour to the roll
Ingredients for the Chicken :-
- Chicken breast – 500 gms
- Oregano – 2 tsp
- Garlic – 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Yogurt – 1/4th cup
- Chilli Flakes – 2 tsp
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 4 tbsp
- Olive Oil – 4 tbsp
- Pepper – 1 tsp
- Salt – 2 tsp
Instructions for the Chicken :-
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients except the chicken
- It might look like theres a lot of marinade but do not worry. Now add the chicken breast to the marinade and coat well
- Cover and set aside in the fridge over night / 3 hours
- When you are ready to fry the chicken, heat a pan with olive oil
- Cook each chicken breast separately one at a time, do not over crowd the pan or else these will be release of the water from the pan and the chicken will not have that golden caramelisation
- After all the pieces have been fried, cut the pieces into small bite size chunks (as shown in the photos)
Assembling the Gyro –
- English Cucumber – 4 ( chopped to bite size pieces)
- Tomatoes – 4 (chopped to the same size)
- Onions – 3 ( chopped fine)
- Lettuce – 7 – 10
- Fresh Dill – 4 tbsp
- Chicken – as made above
- Pita bread
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Place one pita bread in a plate
- Layer with lettuce leaves
- Then add tomatoes, cucumber, onions and chicken
- Sprinkle some fresh dill leaves and slowly pour some Tzatziki sauce over the chicken
- Roll from one end inwards and cover tightly with foil
- Serve right away