Hello my wonderful readers!!
Today is Mothers Day!! Happy Mums days to all the wonderful mums out there!
This time I wanted to make it extra special so I baked a cake for my mum. In all honesty I am always looking for a reason to bake a cake and when something this wonderful comes my way, why wouldn’t I bake!! My mum loves simple subtle flavours. She like soft textures and warm colours. Everything I am today is because she taught me the right way. Often I stop in my tracks just to rethink and I ask my self, what would “Amma” / mum do right now? This usually happens when I am dealing with my son 🙂 You know many people say they won’t wanna have kids and for the longest time even I dint think I would ever be ready, but then today I look back and I ask myself, how could I have been so stupid to see the obvious. Yes I would have been able to travel more and meet more people and learn more languages and read more, but you know what? some day my little one will also fly away from my nest and then I will have all the time in the world for that. This journey that I am on is the most fulfilling journey ever! No it cannot be compared to anything and I will not undermine it by saying that it can 🙂 The reason I say all this is cause, today as a mother I realise how and why my parents said what they said. Today I realise how wrong I was and how miserable I would have been if I decided otherwise. There are exceptions to the rule, but the bottom line is, the only reason “Home” is “home” is cause home is where nothing can go wrong. My son will turn two in a few months and today we were learning how to eat mangoes with our hands. It was so funny! I had to give him a bath after the whole episode, but these baby steps are so precious. So heart warming!! These are the moment I thank my mum for having helped me decide what was right. When I see my child do well that is when I see how my mum made the right choices for me! Its funny how mums have it all under control no matter how things are on the outside!!
Ok this recipe is actually a very simple white chocolate cake with fresh mangoes, mango cream and a hint of cinnamon. Super simple to make and it is both decadent and yet so simple and fresh!! You should totally try it. Its the best Mothers Day cake ever!!
Ingredients for the White Chocolate Cake :-
- White Chocolate – 400 gms
- Butter – 400 gms
- Cake flour – 4 cups
- Cinnamon Powder – 1/4th tsp
- Powdered Sugar – 2 cups
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tbsp
- Whole Milk – 1 + 1/2 cup
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Baking Powder -3 tsp
- Eggs – 5
- Pre heat your oven to 180 C and grease and dust two cake tins with butter and flour. Set aside
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, powdered sugar and cinnamon powder
- Sieve the mixture into another bowl and set aside
- Now heat a large pot of water. In another bowl, add the butter and white chocolate. Now place the butter and chocolate bowl over the mouth of the boiling hot water (without touching the water) Let the chocolate and butter melt completely. Once the mixture has melted set it aside to cool down
- In another bowl add the milk and the vinegar. Stir with a fork and set aside. It will curdle ( thats what you want)
- In the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add the eggs. Beat till well combined
- Then add the butter and white chocolate mixture and mix for one minute on medium
- Next add the milk and vinegar mixture and finally the vanilla extract
- Mix well on low speed till it combines well
- Next add the flour and cinnamon mixture into the wet mixture, in 3 batches. Give the mixture a good mix (make sure to stop in the middle to scrape down the sides of the bowl)
- Weigh the enter wet mixture and then pour equally into the two tins
- Bake at 180C for 45 – 50 min or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean without any batter stuck to it
- Once the cake is ready, take it out of the oven and set to cool down to room temperature for 15 mins
- Then run a knife around the sides of the cake and demold the cake and let it rest till completely cool.
Ingredients for the Filling and the cream :-
- Mangoes – 3 cups of finely cubed
- Whipping Cream – 3 – 4 cups
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Fine Powdered Sugar – 1 cup
- Sprinkles – as much as you like ( optional)
- Take one cup of the chopped mangoes and blend to a fine paste. Set aside
- In the bowl of your stand mixer add the whipping cream and whip on medium speed. Once the cream reaches a soft peak consistency, add the vanilla extract and mango puree. Now with the speed on medium, slowly add the sugar and whip to stiff peaks. Set aside ( you could make some without the mango puree just for colour contrast)
- To assemble the cake, cut the cake into two equal halves, pipe the mango whipped cream, add chopped mangoes and top with the next level of cake
- Once you reach the top, pipe a little mango cream anyway you like and top it off with sprinkles!!